Thursday, July 7, 2011

June 15th - 19th

Maddison Jean Sigmon arrived on June 16, 2011 at 10:30 am weighing 6lbs 10oz and measuring in at 18 inches long. She is so cute and wonderful! Everyone says she is a "good" baby. We are so lucky and blessed.
But first things first.... everyone asks about the story so I'll tell it again. We were just getting used to being pregnant when I began to have health problems. My blood pressure began to rise to dangerous levels and I was showing signs of preeclamsia which is where the placenta detatches from the wall of the uterus and the baby begins to lose blood flow. Naturally we were concerned. The doctor decided that it was time to induce labor.

Here we are 39 weeks pregnant. Four days before Maddi was born. On Wednesday June 15th we arrived at the hospital at 8pm where we settled in for a "restful" night. Yeah right! I could not get comfortable in the hospital bed. I kept bumping off the medical equipment and the nurse had to come in every 20mins or so. They used a little pill called cytosine to begin labor.

Phil was so excited to go! He carried all the bags, pillows and baby car seat.

I was given the most beautiful hospital gowns while I stayed there. This one has little paisleys all over it! At about 3:30 am I felt my first contraction. Phil was dead asleep so I got up and walked around the hospital for an hour or so. I looked at all the pictures on the walls and talked to a bunch of nurses. Everyone was so nice! At 5am I greeted a crowd all coming for scheduled c-sections. At about that time I was wishing I was in their group! My doctor came to check on me at 8:30 am and he was surprised how fast my labor was progressing. He ordered me an epidural and it arrived at 9:15 am. That was the longest time of my life! I was afraid the anesthesiologist would not come in time. I told the nurses that they needed to hurry because the baby was coming, but they did not believe me!



Phil thought I was SOOO funny on an epidural. And boy did it feel good. It is the most awesome thing I have ever felt in my entire life. I would totally recommend it to a friend!

By 10am I was ready to push. I gave the nurse a "test push" and Maddi's head crowned! The doctor was amazed. I pushed five more times and Maddison was born at exactly 10:30 am! Everyone was shocked at how quickly my labor went. My doctor told me I should write a book! I had a total of seven hours of labor time. I think the Lord knew that if it were any harder I probably would never do it again!


Here she is. 6 lbs 10 oz


Check out another awesome flower print hospital gown! We had a great experience at the hospital. We had a steak dinner and all the fixins to celebrate!! Everyone was so nice. The second we put Maddi into her car seat she fell asleep! Phil drove home so carefully. He drove the back way home from the hospital and went five under the speed limit the entire way. We are so happy to have Maddison home with us.

4 comments:

  1. Maddi is such a cutie! Thanks for sharing your story with us! So glad everyone is doing great!!
    Love ya!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim! Congratulations to you guys! I'm glad everything went so well for you! Those new dads are great...I remember Andrew stopping at green lights to check the intersections on our way home from the hospital with Brandon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob is me...haha...Stephanie Luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sooo happy for you guysss! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete